A thesaurus is a book that presents synonyms or similar words for a meaning of reference. Thesauri are found in libraries and book stores around the world today. Thesauri contain groups of similar words, according to their meanings.
|A picture of a thesaurus.|
Features of ThesauriA thesaurus is a reference book that represents groups of similar words. Some of the features of thesauri are listed below:
- Thesauri contain similar words for dictionary words.
- Reference books like the thesaurus present fewer lists of words than dictionaries.
- Thesauri are used to learn more about similar words in a language than to rather find meanings of words in a language.
Benefits of ThesauriThe thesaurus can help make learning a language faster and easier. Some of the benefits of thesauri include:
- Thesauri can describe words in simple, normal, complex, and advanced forms of a language.
- The thesaurus presents simple meanings of words, with a lot of related words, to gather knowledge about.
- Thesauri help people improve their knowledge of a language by seeking new words to express themselves.
Doubts of ThesauriThe thesaurus is doubtable to use in some situations. Some of the doubts of thesauri include:
- Thesauri often do not contain uses of words.
- Thesauri may not contain similar words for all words that are present in a dictionary.
- Sometimes, thesauri can be larger than dictionaries due to the large number of synonyms per dictionary word.