A region is a vast mass of surface area which is defined by a visible appearance like weather or surface formations. There are different types of regions on planet Earth - polar regions, tropical regions, temperate regions, and more. Regions are often used to classify surface area based on geographical formations known to explorers.
|A picture showing regions of the world.|
Types of Regions
There are different types of regions on the planet. Some of the types of regions are listed below:
Pole Regions - regions on the upper and lower axis of a planet are called pole regions or polar regions.
Tundra Regions - regions appearing adjacent to the pole regions of a planet are called tundra regions or tundral regions.
Temperate Regions - regions occurring between tundra and tropic regions of a planet are called temperate regions or temperatal regions.
Tropic Regions - regions which appear around the middle area of a planet are called tropic regions or tropical regions.
Equator Regions - regions along the middle area of a planet are called equator regions or equatorial regions.
Features of Regions
Regions are planet-specific areas which describe landforms. Some of the features of regions are listed below:
- Regions are best visited on a map, to be observed for various features they might have.
- Regions can be differentiated by their temperature, appearance, visibility, and surface area.
- Regions may contain many different types of geographical features - land formations, mineral deposits, and water bodies to name a few.
Benefits of Regions
Grouping areas in the form of regions can be beneficial. Some of the benefits of regions are included below:
- Regions help individuals assess the viability of living their lives in such places.
- Describing regions helps travellers to get to know regions better and visit them during the best times of the year.
- Regions present certain common characteristics which they are named after, like: mountain range, river plains, and temperate plains.
Doubts of Regions
Grouping areas in the form of regions can be doubtful. Some of the doubts of regions are included below:
- Regions may differ from one planet to another - so there is no fixed way to name regions.
- The names of some regions may become out-dated with time, as the regions change their form or appearance.
- Naming regions in one language requires them to be named in another language as well, and so on; this could become tedious to do.
Regions are best visited when the time is right - when the weather is the best and when travellers are ready to make the trip of their lives. Regions of the world can be visited in many ways - by physically travelling to the region, by watching the region on television, or even by reading some information about the region on the Internet. Which regions of the world have you visited today?
Related Links About Regions
Feel free to visit, share, and learn more about regions: